Writing Your Application
Before You Get Started
Once your Letter of Inquiry (LOI) is approved, you will receive an invitation to submit a full application. The application is submitted through the same online system as your LOI. Please read the instructions below before beginning your application and check our calendar for upcoming application deadlines
- Allow up to 4 hours to complete your application.
- Save your work often. If you exit the system without saving your work, it will not be retrievable. You will receive an email confirming your work has been saved.
- We strongly urge you to submit your application 2-3 days prior to the deadline. We use a third party server and cannot guarantee server availability at any time. This also allows us time to review your application and request any corrections that need to be made.
- Your invitation to submit a full application extends through 2 grant cycles. If you are unable to submit for the most immediate deadline, you may submit for the next deadline.
- Be prepared for a site visit.You may be contacted by staff to schedule a site visit to learn more about your agency and proposal. A site visit is not indicative of funding.
ABOUT THE TEMPLATES
Please do not alter the general formats of our templates. We can accept them as PDF, MS Word, or MS Excel documents only. We occasionally update our templates; be sure to download the most current versions.
How to Apply
Log in to the online application system. Your application coversheet will be an available form. It should be populated with information from your LOI. Be sure all the fields are filled.
Download and complete the most current Application Templates. We recommend creating a desktop folder for all related documents and templates.
Compile additional documents. A list of required documents is below. You will be asked to upload these files at the end of your application.
Upload, review and submit application. The online system will walk you through uploading all documents and information. A confirmation email will be sent upon submittal. Be sure the email is confirming submittal and not just saving.
- Grant Application Checklist
- Organizational Narrative
- Needs Statement Narrative
- Project Description Narrative
- Detailed Project Budget (as originally submitted with LOI) The project budget must be the same as the LOI budget-changes may lead to your application being declined or tabled.
- Board Roster
- Fundraising Plan
- Current Organizational Budget
- We routinely update our templates, please download the most current version.
- Please submit the templates in the original format or .pdf. Other formats will not open in our system, resulting in delay.
- Please do not alter or reformat the templates.
- Each completed template must be uploaded individually to the matching required title found on the last page of the application. This process is similar to attaching a file to an email.
During the application process we will ask you for the following documents. Please have these documents ready before applying:
- Executive Director Resume
- Board Chairperson's Resume
- Balance Sheet or Statement of Financial Position (no older than 2 months, in GAAP format)
- Income/Expense Sheet-also called a Profit & Loss, or Statement of Activity (no older than 2 months, in GAAP format)
- Current Financial Audit or OMB Circular A-133 if available. If you do not have either of these, attach a page stating this. We are aware that many smaller organizations won't have these documents.
- IRS Form 990 or Confirmation Postcard-most current tax year
- Current Annual Report if available
- Estimate or quote (if capital request)
- Letter of Agreement or MOU (if partnership or collaboration)